Welcome to Lighthouse Toastmasters
Are you looking for ways to improve your public speaking skills and gain more confidence?
Do you want to get rid of your fear of public speaking, communicate more effectively, and/or learn how to inspire an audience?
Then you’ve come to the right place!
At Toastmasters we offer you a friendly and encouraging environment for you to practice your communication and leadership skills.
Toastmasters meetings are a safe environment in which to learn. Everyone who attends is there for the purpose of gaining the skills from the Toastmasters program. You will learn the basic techniques to capture your audience and effectively communicate your message. Participants have a variety of opportunities learn about public speaking at every meeting.
We learn by:
- Practising speaking in front of the group
- Listening to others speak to the group
- Evaluating and listening to evaluations of speeches
- Following the Toastmasters program of advancing in steps
- Mutual support and encouragement are the cornerstones of Toastmasters meetings.
Benefits of Toastmasters
Toastmasters provides the tools that enable you to become an effective communicator and leader both in business or professional life, and your personal and community life.
Toastmasters can help you:
- develop self-confidence when speaking in public
- give effective presentations to all types of audiences
- speak off the cuff on a variety of topics
Why Join Toastmasters?
- You will learn in a club environment, amongst friends
- You will receive ongoing feedback and encouragement
- Find out why others joined Toastmasters by reading their personal stories below.
At a typical club meeting, members are given a chance to practice
(i) chairing a meeting,
(ii) impromptu speaking,
(iii) prepared speeches, and
(iv) giving feedback on the speeches and other aspects of the meeting.
How To Join
If you wish to join a Toastmasters club, you need to attend a club meeting for two or three sessions to get to know the club members and how the club works. When you are ready, a member of the club will invite you to join, or you can ask to join.